Child Placement and Specialized Services | Ministry of Human Development Belize

Child Placement and Specialized Services

The primary responsibility of the Child Placement and Special Services Division (CPSS) :

is the placement of children into substitute care, or for the placement of children into a permanent adoptive home. CPSS is also responsible for assisting the CPS division with permanency planning to include preparing the home of relatives for children who will be placed on a temporary or permanent basis, and in the placement of children in an institution. This division is responsible for the recruitment, licensing, monitoring and retention of all substitute care providers, regardless of the category, and for casework services in all adoption cases to include independent adoptions. Court ordered services and requests for international casework services also fall under the casework jurisdiction of this division.

Children can come into care for various for various reasons. These include: physical or sexual abuse, abandonment, neglect, or children being left orphans.

We firmly believe that…

  • All children belong in safe, loving families.
  • Teenage children need to be in stable homes with positive influences.
  • Children living with disabilities belong with families who can care for them and meet their special needs.
  • Siblings need families willing to keep them together, as they share a special bond.

Foster Care and Adoption

Foster Care is a system in which a minor has been placed into a private home of a certified caregiver
referred to as a “foster parent”. The placement of the child is arranged through the Department of Human Services.

Adoption is the permanent legal transfer of all parental rights from one person or couple to another person or couple. Adoptive parents have the same rights and responsibilities as biological parents, and adopted children have all of the emotional, social, legal and kinship benefits of biological children.

What Options are Available

There are various type of Foster Care. You can choose which programme best suits you and your family.

    • Respite…. Children of all ages are cared for in a foster home on weekends and holidays.
    • Emergency Care… Children are removed from their families without notice and need host families for short periods of time until long term placement is finalized. This period is approximately a week to three months.
    • Short-Term Care… Children of all ages are cared for in a foster home for one to six months.
    • Long-Term… Children of all ages are placed in a foster homes for one to three years.
    • Adoption… Children of all ages are placed in permanent homes.


Help by being a Foster Parent or an Adoptive Parent

We need families in all sizes and shapes who are willing to foster:

  • Teenagers
  • Siblings
  • Children with Special Needs
  • Babies and Younger Children

Who Can Apply

  • Mature Individuals
  • Couples over the age of 21
  • Persons willing to make a short of long term commitment to a child

Screening Documents that are required to accompanying Adoption/Foster Care Application

How to Apply

  • Inquiry: Call the nearest Department of Human Services office in your district.
  • Screening:
    • Complete an application form
    • Submit screening documents
    • Police records, medical certificates, and references.
  • Home study: Participate in a home study interview with a Social Worker.
    • You will be notified of your acceptance/non-approval for the program.
  • Matching with a child(ren): Matching based on child’s needs and your strengths.
  • Placement: A child is placed into your care.
  • Email Us:

How do you get involved?

  • Call the nearest Department of Human Services Office
  • Complete an application form
  • Submit a Police Record, Medical Report and References
  • Participate in a Home Study Interview with a Social Worker

Click to Apply!

  • Contact Us

    Ministry of Human Development Headquarters West Block, Independence Plaza, Belmopan, Belize Telephone: (501) 822-2246 or 2161 or 2684 Fax: (501) 822-3175

    Click Here